At ThingsMenBuy, we all love delicious boozy meats, here’s one of our favorite recipes, How to Make Rum Ham.
This is great for a family gathering, special occasion or just because you feel like making it!
If you’re a barbeque afficionado, which I know many of you will be, you can add a smoked element to your Rum Ham to make it even more delicious.
How to Make Rum Ham
Rum Ham has become famous from seeing it on It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia, a debauched sitcom which has now been running for 12 seasons, on FX and FXX
To start us off on How to Make Rum Ham, here’s the best bits about the famous Rum Ham from the show:
Can you feel the pain as Frank notices the Rum Ham is no longer in the boat? Makes you want to try it, right?
Ok let’s get down to How to Make Rum Ham.
How to Make Rum Ham Recipe #1
In essence, Rum Ham is injected with rum brine and coated with a rum glaze.
- 1.5 pound Ham
- Rum (one 750Ml bottle, or more)
- Brown Sugar (2 cups)
- Molasses (1/4 – 3/4 cup)
- Salt (1 cup)
- Water (2 cup)
- Dijon Mustard (1 table spoon)
- Butter (stick)
- Bay leaf
Boil the Rum:
- Pour 1/4 of the bottle of rum into a pot
- Put on a lid and bring to boil for 3 to 4 minutes
- Add a handful of cloves, peppercorn for taste
Mix the Brine:
- Mix together ¼ a cup of salt and ½ a cup of brown sugar and add molasses
- Pour the boiled rum into the mixture, add 2 cups of water and mix
Prepare the Ham:
- Place the ham into a larger freezer bag
- Pour the brine over the ham (completely cover it)
- Inject the brine into the ham or make deep cuts so that the brine can soak into the ham
- Put the ham into the fridge, ideally overnight.
- Temperature: 325 – 350F, or 162 – 177C
- Allow 10 minutes for oven to reach required temperature
Make the Crust:
- Mix 1/2 cup of brown sugar and 1/4 cup of salt
- Rub the mixture over the outside of the ham
Bake the Ham
- Layer the baking dish with tinfoil and use a baking rack if you have one
- Place the ham in the center of the oven
- 1 pound of ham = 1 hour in the oven
- Check the ham after 1 hour, ham is fully cooked once internal temperature is 140F or 60C
Make The Glaze:
- Add rum to pot
- Bring the rum to boil
- Add stick of butter and 1 tablespoon of Dijon mustard
- Mix together, for more solid texture add brown sugar too
Apply The Glaze:
- Leave oven on and brush or spoon over the glaze, until the ham is covered
- Place the ham back into center of the oven for 10 minutes
Save any leftover glaze to use as sauce for your delicious rum ham.
(Recipe taken from: Instructables.com)
How to Make Rum Ham Recipe #2
Jamon Borracho (Drunken Ham) Recipe
- 1 (15 ounce) can pineapple slices, undrained
- 1/4 cup of water
- Prep: 15 m Cook: 2 h 5 m Ready In: 2 h 30 m
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C).
- Place ham into a roasting pan. Spread Dijon mustard over top and sides of ham in an even coat; sprinkle ham with brown sugar. Press brown sugar onto ham with your hands. Place pineapple slices onto ham, securing them to the top and sides with cloves. Place any unused pineapple slices into bottom of roasting pan and pour pineapple juice and half the orange-flavored rum.
- Bake in the preheated oven until ham is heated through and brown sugar has begun to glaze onto the meat, about 1 hour. Remove ham from oven and pour remaining 2 fluid ounces of orange rum over the ham; carefully light the rum on fire with a match. The flames will help the glaze to adhere to the meat.
- Continue baking until an instant-read meat thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the ham, not touching bone, reads at least 140 degrees F (60 degrees C), about 1 more hour. Let ham rest for 10 minutes before serving. Transfer ham to a serving platter, leaving pan drippings in roasting pan.
- Stir cornstarch and water together in a small bowl until smooth; whisk cornstarch into pan drippings. Place roasting pan over medium-low heat and whisk until pan juices thicken, about 5 minutes. Serve with ham.
(Recipe taken from Allrecipes.com)
Check out our Homes & Garden Section for more great ideas for cookouts, ideas for delicious food and cool things for your home.