As men age, their bodies will change. Older men will likely develop an enlarged prostate, making it hard and painful for them to urinate. An enlarged prostate can also cause them to visit the bathroom more often and can develop into more severe illnesses once left untreated. However, just because you have an enlarged prostate doesn’t mean that your life is over. There are several treatment options for this medical condition.
For you to get back on track after being diagnosed with an enlarged prostate, take the time to do the following:
- Regularly Visit Your Doctor
An enlarged prostate can make your life challenging, but there are now several treatments available for it. After being diagnosed with this medical condition, it’s best if you regularly visit your doctor. They’ll provide several strategies on how you can continue to live your life while managing the symptoms of an enlarged prostate.
Depending on the severity of the symptoms and size of your prostate, your doctor might recommend you to undergo any or all of the following treatments:
- Medicine: Yes, you read that right. There are now several medicines that can help treat the symptoms of an enlarged prostate – Prostagenix is just one of them. While some medicines work by gradually shrinking the prostate, others relieve pain and discomfort associated with the symptoms of an enlarged prostate.
- Lifestyle changes: If your enlarged prostate doesn’t adversely affect your life yet, your doctor might ask you to change your lifestyle. This can include drinking more water, eating more foods rich in fiber, and emptying your bladder before leaving home. These simple changes can go a long way for you to live a comfortable and healthy life even if you’re diagnosed with an enlarged prostate.
- Surgery: When all else fails, your doctor will recommend you to undergo surgery to finally get rid of an enlarged prostate. Although surgeries can provide long-term comfort from an enlarged prostate and its symptoms, going through one can be costly. Some surgeries might even require you to rest for days or weeks in order to fully recover.
- Aim For A Healthy Eating Pattern
The food you consume can significantly affect an enlarged prostate. The healthier foods you eat, the better you can manage the symptoms of an enlarged prostate. With a healthy body, recovering from an enlarged prostate will also become easier and faster.
To help you achieve this goal, aim to follow a healthy eating pattern. Here’s how you can do it:
- Strive to eat at least five servings of fruits and vegetables every day. If possible, opt to consume fruits and vegetables that come in deep and bright colors.
- Swap white bread for whole-grain bread. Add whole-grain cereals and pasta to your diet, as well.
- Control the amount of beef, lamb, pork, and red meat you consume. Fish, beans, and other skinless poultry are packed with protein, so make sure that these foods are included in your diet.
- Avoid sugar-sweetened drinks and opt to drink water more often. You can still eat sweets and desserts, but do it in moderation.
- Consume foods that are low in salt or if possible, totally erase salt from your household. Limit the consumption of canned, frozen, and processed foods, too.
- Watch your portion sizes. Eat slowly so you can enjoy your food better and make sure that you stop eating the moment you realize you’re full.
- Always Stay Active
Aside from having a healthy diet, you should exert time and effort to stay active. Regular physical exercise can minimize your chances of developing severe health conditions associated with an enlarged prostate. While some exercises provide benefits to your overall health, others are focused on training and strengthening your pelvic muscles, allowing you to better control urination.
Here are some exercises to help you manage the symptoms of an enlarged prostate:
- Kegel exercises: Doing kegel exercises is one of the easiest and simplest ways to alleviate any discomfort brought about by an enlarged prostate. Unlike other types of exercises, kegel exercises are specifically designed to strengthen the muscles of your pelvic floors.
For you to practice kegel exercises, make sure that your bladder is empty. Lie on the floor with your knees bent apart. Start by tightening your pelvic floor muscles for at least three seconds and relax them for another three seconds. Repeat this process several times.
- Other physical exercises such as walking, swimming, and jogging can also aid with an enlarged prostate as these can keep your weight in check. When you have a healthy weight, your urethra won’t be pressed and become narrow. This can result in painless urination.
Follow the tips from this article, continue having a positive mindset, and for sure, you can still become productive even if you have an enlarged prostate. Just make sure that your consistent with your efforts and not let this medical condition create a toll in your life!