Here at ThingsMenBuy.com our team like to give you plenty of choice! So here is today’s question, would you prefer a Sea Breeze or a Salty Dog?
This may seem like a ridiculous question as I’m writing this during the winter season and for me, both cocktails have connotations of the beautiful summer months that we enjoy. It’s good to be prepared though, right? I’m a great believer in experimenting with adult beverages in preparation for when you actually want to Wow your guests with them, on this occasion, a Sea Breeze or a Salty Dog!
A Sea Breeze or A Salty Dog?
First of all, what’s the difference between these two vodka-based cocktails?
How To Make A Sea Breeze
1 1/2 ounces vodka
3 ounces cranberry juice
1 ounce grapefruit juice
Garnish: grapefruit slice
How To Make It:
- Pour the vodka and cranberry juice into a highball glass with ice cubes.
- Stir well.
- Top with the grapefruit juice.
- Garnish with the grapefruit slice.
How To Make A Salty Dog
2 oz vodka or gin
4 oz grapefruit juice
How To Make It:
- Moisten the rim of a highball or rocks glass
- Press onto a plate of coarse salt.
- Add ice, vodka, grapefruit juice and stir.
Alternatives to a Sea Breeze
- If you substitute pineapple juice for the grapefruit juice you get a Hawaiian Sea Breeze or a Bay Breeze
- Take out the grapefruit juice and add a lime wedge it transforms into a Cape Codder
- Add a dash of club soda to a Cape Codder and you have a Rose Kennedy
- Substitute the grapefruit juice with orange juice and you have a Madras
Alternatives to a Salty Dog
- Leave out the salt-rimmed glass and your cocktail transforms into a Greyhound
- Basically, mix and match any of the above!!
It’s up to you? A Sea Breeze or A Salty Dog?
- Both classically summer drinks
- They both use vodka (although they can both be made with gin)
- They both have grapefruit juice in them
- A Sea Breeze has cranberry juice too; A Salty Dog has a salt-rimmed glass
- In either of these drinks or any of the above alternatives you can use a cheap vodka
- A cheap vodka means that any of the cocktails mentioned would be great for making punch for a party
Knock yourself out and try any or all of them! Remember, even though it’s not summer right now, you can have endless fun experimenting with any of these summer cocktails. Equally you can start with your favorite fruit juice (especially a healthy freshly-squeezed one) and make up your own cocktail!
For more ideas for vodka-based cocktails, have a look here.
If your tipple is gin, have a look at these gin-based cocktails instead.
Alternatively, if you need the 7 cocktails that every man should know, go here!